Skip to main content

Final Thoughts on Colombia

And so today I am leaving Colombia. It has been quite an adventure and this is an experience I'll never forget. I feel almost like a cop-out, as I have only been here a week. I have done very little with regards to helping out the orphanage. I have fed some mouths and I have given some hugs and I have carried a few kids with dirty diapers to be changed, but I have only been here for a few days. I will leave today but the workers who slave away for 40+ hours a week will stay and will continue to do ten times more what I have done. Though we have loved on some kids, they and Sister Valeriana are the ones who truly care about them and sacrifice their lives to create an environment for these kids where they feel loved and accepted. In comparison, we have done nothing.

But we have done something, for we did show love to these kids, and it is awesome (and sad) to see these kids cry when they know that we are leaving, for I suppose we accomplished what we came to do and that perhaps they will remember us. However, if they remember us doesn't really matter as much as they they have a place where they are continue to develop their self confidence and esteem. They are happy, and not just happy but joyful, more so than most people who have beauty, wealth, love, fame, and family. That is what matters now.

I came into this trip thinking that I was going to serve them and help them that they might be blessed. I thought they needed our help, but after the trip, I realize that wasn't the purpose of this trip. The purpose of this trip was to learn from them--the kids and the workers--and to bring back what we have learned in order to bless those around us. Sister Valeriana has had a vision and just was used as an instrument by God to help a couple of orphans some 17 years. Because of this heart and vision, it has grown to an incredible size and so many people have poured so much money and time into this place. Just because of one vision.

I can't stay forever, but since my stay I've caught a glimpse of something big coming from the actions of one person. So perhaps we can take this back to Cincinnati. If we have a desire to see our community changed, and it might seem too great a task, we only need to remember the heart cry of a little Spanish Catholic nun years ago, the persistence of these angelic workers, and the simple love and faith of these little kids and how much we are able to see the kingdom of God in them. "The kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these..."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe and Heather

  What an incredible time celebrating with Joe and Heather.  And who would have thought that a rainy April morning day could have turned into such a beautiful afternoon.  Which is good because I promised Heather sun!  I can’t begin to say how much fun we had with the whole group at the reception.  So much fun!  Here are a few shots of the day.      These next pictures are my favorites, the dress was amazing and that bouquet was out of this world!     And I’m not kidding - right before Heather walked down the aisle, a beam of light from the majestic church broke its way through the window and followed Heather all the way down.  I just turned off my flash and let Heather and her spotlight work the magic.     Ha! Cracks me up. This reception was a party!   Thank you so much you two for letting us be a part of your day!  We hope you enjoy the pictures!

New Website! (finally)

I am proud to announce that we have officially updated the website!! (insert a chorus of hallelujah!) The old website was very sad and I do not think was true to the quality of the pictures and it was extremely hard to navigate. If you remember it I apologize. But we are very excited to bring this new one to you. Thank you all who were apart of our lives and a part of this vision in 2009. Thank you to all the beautiful couples we had the opportunity to shoot for. I give you The Artistic Vision 2010:

Quarters of Beauty

I love the whispers of Autumn. They bring me back to memories of my childhood. There is a certain feeling; it is the smell in the air--that cool crisp smell which freezes your nose--and the colors on the trees--those rustic oranges and ruddy splashes of the drapery--that remind me of when I was young. I am always inspired to recreate that feeling in photos, I suppose artists always do. However, photos or paintings fall short of replication only achieving a mere appropriation of the beauty; only borrowing from the text instead of scribal rewrites, for the text is too hard. Perhaps it's like the little boys who make a snowball to store in the freezer to remember come summertime. But yes, the sublimation laws of physics always seem to destroy our fun. We try anyway. We try because we love to hold on to that which dies or that which is temporary. So much so that when the first snow falls and we get out the snow shovels and Mother's Christmas pudding, we furtively look at the pictur...