Skip to main content

Giving and Beyond

Today we had a chance to go and see a little of the city. It is a very pretty city and I cannot get over how blue the sky is. It is always rainy but the sky is always blue. It is because there is a mist over the city that comes from the Andes mountains. The bluest sky I've ever see, and never knew that hue could actually exist in the sky until now. And very nice people. Everyone invites you to their house but they never tell you when, what time, or where they live. It is said that they the people will always tell you what they think you need, but never actually listen to you actual need. So for example, when we arrived at the airport, we requested a big van to load all our stuff from our guides. They were very close to bringing a school bus or two. Luckily, someone from our group told them that a van would do. They brought two vans. Oh well. :-)


(all our luggage of gifts for the children)

We went to a church today, and it was very refreshing to see other cultures in worship. When I see other people worshiping God in a different way than we do in America, it is comforting to me because I I believe in God. As odd as that sounds, if we all did "church" the same way, I would wonder if we just made this all up, but God is a very diverse God. And again wonderful people.

Tomorrow we head to Luz y Vida. It is actually a holiday tomorrow so we don't know if everyone is going to be there. Today we organized all the stuff that our church brought to give to the orphanage. It is incredible how much we have!! Everyone (10 people) packed an extra suit case which contained all the gifts and stuff for the kids. We were unloading today and we have 88 little backpacks (which was purchased through a miraculous donation), an entire suitcase of toothpaste, an entire suitcase of crayons and school supplies, there were legos, and notebooks, and soap, and toothbrushes, and pencil sharpeners, and coloring books. It is incredible! These were mostly donations from our church or friends from our church, and I was amazed of how much a little church can give. And I was moved that even though we are small, and so far away, that we can in turn bless these kids. It felt that we were getting something right.

And I say this not to boast, but rather to remember and remember how Jesus fed the 5000 and then the 4000, meeting the needs of everyone (though stomachs will go hungry again and toys be broken), our purpose for giving should 1) never be limited by the size of who you are, if you desire to give it will be given to you to give and 2) try to put a smile on a kids face and you begin to see the heart of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe and Heather

  What an incredible time celebrating with Joe and Heather.  And who would have thought that a rainy April morning day could have turned into such a beautiful afternoon.  Which is good because I promised Heather sun!  I can’t begin to say how much fun we had with the whole group at the reception.  So much fun!  Here are a few shots of the day.      These next pictures are my favorites, the dress was amazing and that bouquet was out of this world!     And I’m not kidding - right before Heather walked down the aisle, a beam of light from the majestic church broke its way through the window and followed Heather all the way down.  I just turned off my flash and let Heather and her spotlight work the magic.     Ha! Cracks me up. This reception was a party!   Thank you so much you two for letting us be a part of your day!  We hope you enjoy the pictures!

New Website! (finally)

I am proud to announce that we have officially updated the website!! (insert a chorus of hallelujah!) The old website was very sad and I do not think was true to the quality of the pictures and it was extremely hard to navigate. If you remember it I apologize. But we are very excited to bring this new one to you. Thank you all who were apart of our lives and a part of this vision in 2009. Thank you to all the beautiful couples we had the opportunity to shoot for. I give you The Artistic Vision 2010:

Quarters of Beauty

I love the whispers of Autumn. They bring me back to memories of my childhood. There is a certain feeling; it is the smell in the air--that cool crisp smell which freezes your nose--and the colors on the trees--those rustic oranges and ruddy splashes of the drapery--that remind me of when I was young. I am always inspired to recreate that feeling in photos, I suppose artists always do. However, photos or paintings fall short of replication only achieving a mere appropriation of the beauty; only borrowing from the text instead of scribal rewrites, for the text is too hard. Perhaps it's like the little boys who make a snowball to store in the freezer to remember come summertime. But yes, the sublimation laws of physics always seem to destroy our fun. We try anyway. We try because we love to hold on to that which dies or that which is temporary. So much so that when the first snow falls and we get out the snow shovels and Mother's Christmas pudding, we furtively look at the pictur...